Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Boo Boo

Last night Madeline graced us all with her first visit to the ED at Mount Nittany Medical Center. She hasn't been back to that hospital since the day she was born, and I was hoping to keep it that way for at least a little while longer. Sadly it was not to be.

Bath time was especially slipper last night and when I heard Brad say "Amanda I need you up here!" I knew it wasn't going to be good. Sure enough Madeline had tried to stand up in the tub, which always gets greeted with an automatic "Sit down Madeline, no no!" She came crashing down with her chin on the side of the tub. The panic, fear and adrenaline that runs through your body when your child is hurt is like none other than I have ever experienced in my life.

After getting her calmed down and into some pajamas, we headed into the ED. Thankfully it was not a busy night. We got into Triage in about 2 minutes, and saw the PA on duty in about 15. About an hour later Madeline was all sewn up with 6, yes you read that right SIX, brand-spanking-new stitches.

She really was a trooper. We opted for the numbing shot, instead of the gel, b/c we weren't sure how much longer she would last in her good mood. It was 8:45 at this point and long past bedtime. The numbing gel would have taken another 30-45 minutes to work. Madeline was amazing. She didn't even flinch when they gave her the shots. Maybe it was the Boo Boo Bear that hospital gave her to squeeze tight. She loves that Bear.

We got her home, into some new/non-bloody pajamas and into bed. It was a long night for all of us. I think we all got a good deep sleep last night. Madeline is feeling okay today. At little moany, I think her chin is throbbing a bit. So we Motrined her up and I sent her to daycare to help get her mind off of it. We'll see how she is when I pick her up.

Let's hope we don't have many adventures like this one for a LONG, LONG time.

5 comments:

sbruscia said...

Yikes! Poor Madeline. I would like photoproof that she is still doing well. k-- thanks!

abruscia said...

Will do my best :)

Mark said...

Poor Maddie. I hope she is okay. I'll be sure to get a super thick bath mat for her upcoming visit to Richmond.

Jenn said...

Awwww, poor little girl. I totally know how you felt - we were the same way when Owen had a trip to the ER for a split lip - so scary. Glad to hear she's doing better. Owen sends a big hug!

Mervine Family said...

Poor Maddie! Emily sends her lots of kisses to make her booboo feel better!