Friday, October 3, 2008

Trip to Labor and Delivery...

Yesterday afternoon, I realized that I hadn't felt our little one moving around quite as much as she usually does. On top of it, I had been having cramping all week, and yesterday they seemd a bit more intense and frequent. So, I texted Melanie, our good friend and also one of my OBGYNs. I let her know what was going on and asked her if I was just being "paranoid." Melanie immediately called me back and said for me to come into the hospital and she was calling Labor and Delivery and letting them know that I was on my way.

I left work around 4:45 p.m. and Brad and I arrived at the medical center around 5 p.m. By 5:15 I was hooked up to the machines and they were watching both the babies heart rate and my contractions. Yes, apparently the cramps I was feeling were indeed contractions. The baby looked great, and of course as soon as she was being monitored she started moving around again. Whew! The contractions however were a diffrent story. They weren't speeding up, but they weren't slowing down either and they were "a bit more than they want to see at 35 weeks." The nurses also did an internal and found that I am about 1 cm dilated already. Which wasn't too much of a concern since I could have been like this for the past several weeks. In the end they decided it would be best for me to get a shot of Terabutalin, a drug that relaxes your muscles, which would hopefully stop or slow my contractions. It also makes you feel like you drank about 10 Red Bulls....Ugh. Not fun.

An hour or so after the shot they decided it had worked enough to let me go home, esp. since I had a doctor's apt. already scheduled for the next day. So around 8:30 p.m. Brad and I left the hospital and were on our way home. Thank goodness b/c I don't even have a hospital bag packed yet (it is on my list of things to do this weekend).

No comments: